Every step counts when you are walking toward 10,000 a day!
10,000 steps equal 5 miles! That may sound daunting but trust me you can sneak lots of extra steps throughout your day. My kids can’t stand it but I park in the furthest parking space in any parking lot we go into – heck those steps add up.
Are you doing the 30 Day Walking to 10K Step challenge I posted about last week? It’s not to late to jump in. The beauty of this challenge is you can start on any day, you just need 30 days! Click here for all the information and join us!
The goal of the challenge is to get to 10,000 steps a day by the end of 30 days. It’s a gradual build up, everyday you are adding more steps into your daily step count. And if you are already there, you want to consistently walk 10,000 steps throughout the month!
Zella Moonlight Midi Legging – – – > http://shopstyle.it/l/gO1i // Zella Power Racerback Tank – – – > http://shopstyle.it/l/gO1x
I am walking with a girlfriend this morning which always makes the walk go quicker and because we are busy chatting we tend to walk further. But I also sneak in steps throughout my day! Here are my top 15 ways to get in those steps. Trust me these work!
- Grocery Shopping? I don’t know about you but I am at the grocery store multiple times a week! Make an extra tour around the perimeter aisles before checking out.
- Put your earbuds in and call your mom or best friend. A 30 minute phone calls is worth about 2000 steps!
- Walk around the block while your kids are at soccer practice, dance class or whatever activities they are doing.
- Get off the bus/train one stop beyond where you live and walk home.
- March in place while you brush your teeth or dry your hair.
- Walk the kids to school or to the bus stop.
- Use the stairs instead of the elevator, always!
- Take a walk with a friend to catch up instead of meeting for coffee. You can drink coffee or wine later.
- Walk to a co-worker’s office instead of calling or emailing.
- Walk whenever it’s possible to run an errand. I live in a small town, I walk to the post office, pharmacy, eve the dry cleaner.
- Go for a walk instead of watching TV or scrolling through your Facebook timeline.
- Use different walking routes to keep things exciting plus you never know what you may see!
- Set the alarm on your computer to go off every hour or two, then take a quick tour around the floor (or even just a trip up and down the hall) when it does or do a 10 minute walk around the block.
- Wander around the room while you are chatting on the phone.
- Pump up the music and dance your way through cooking and/or cleaning the kitchen. You house will get clean, you get some extra steps and good music improves your mood.
I would love to hear from you. How many steps are you getting in? How are you feeling? Any questions you may have, comment below and keep on walking!