Chicken and white bean soup
- 2 smoked bacon slices, chopped
- 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup chopped plum tomato
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 2/3 cup uncooked orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
- 1 (15-ounce) can organic white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Cook bacon in a large saucepan over medium heat 7 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving drippings in pan; set bacon aside.
Add chicken to drippings in pan; sauté 6 minutes. Remove chicken from pan. Add onion and garlic to pan; cook 4 minutes or until tender. Add tomato, oregano, and pepper; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Return bacon and chicken to pan. Stir in 2 cups water and broth, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Bring to a boil. Add orzo, and cook for 9 minutes or until al dente. Add beans; cook 2 minutes or until heated. Remove from heat; stir in vinegar, and salt.
Easy Chili Recipe
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (16-ounce) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16-ounce) can of pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (14-1/2-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
Cook first 4 ingredients in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring until beef crumbles and is no longer pink; drain. Stir in beans, add the remaining ingredients.
For slow cooker: place mixture in 5-quart slow cooker. Cook at HIGH 3 to 4 hours or on LOW 5 to 6 hours.
For stovetop: cover and simmer for 1-2 hours.
Top with shredded cheese, diced avocado, and crushed tortilla chips.
And serve with cornbread.