Who doesn’t love a Sunday that gets all the benefits of a Saturday?! Three day weekends are such treats!!
Sometimes that last minute thing works perfectly. I sent out a text to our neighbors late friday seeing if everyone was around the next day to get together for dinner and BAM, Saturday dinner party was on the books. Somethings are just meant to be!
Good company, great food and wine equals a fun evening with lots of laughter.
The hot weather we are experiencing meant a simple menu that didn’t require heating up the house. Grill shrimp skewers on the bbq, a killer meat and cheese board and some simple salads. Both the salad recipes would be great choices for potluck or great sides with hamburgers, chicken or grilled fish during the week.
Corn, Tomato, Basil & Feta Salad (serves 4)
- 1 1/2 cups of frozen corn, (Trader Joe’s sells Roasted frozen corn)**
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for grilling corn
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 pints grape tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
** you could roast 4 ears of corn on the grill and cut the corn off the cob.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in skillet and cooking corn in until tender.
- Whisk 1/4 cup olive oil and 1 tbsp red wine vinegar until blended.
- Transfer corn into large bowl, stir in corn, tomatoes, feta and chopped basil.
- Toss to coat and season with salt and pepper.
Couscous Tabbouleh with Tomatoes & Cucumber (serves 4)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup Israeli couscous
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- Juice of 1 lemon
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup mint, chopped
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 seedless cucumber, peeled and chopped
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and sauté the minced garlic for about 30 seconds, until just barely golden. Add the Israeli couscous and cook, stirring, about 1 minute. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the couscous is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the couscous. Refrigerate until it reaches room temperature.
- Add the parsley, mint, tomatoes and cucumber to the couscous and toss well. Season with sea salt and pepper.
There are so many varieties of hummus on the market but this you won’t find in any grocery store. This recipe is from Tender Greens, which is one of my favorite restaurants. They have a dish there called The Happy Vegan and it’s 3 salads and green hummus. I found this recipe years ago online and it is a family favorite and is so simple to make plus it’s packed with healthy goodness!
I served it with crostini last night but it’s also great with pita bread, veggies or crackers.
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 cup arugula
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup diced green onion
- 2 small cloves garlic
- 1 cup olive oil
- 4 cups garbanzo beans (2 cans, rinsed and drained)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the spinach, arugula, cilantro, green onion and garlic.
- With the processor running, slowly add the olive oil, then start to add the beans. (Depending on the size of your processor, the hummus may need to be processed in batches: Remove some of the processed hummus to a large bowl) Continue adding beans to the processor.
- Fold everything together in the large bowl.
- Add the lemon juice, then season with 1½ teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper, or to taste. This makes a generous 5 cups of hummus.
Let me know if you make any of these recipes. They are all amazing!! And my meal plan for the week is coming in a separate post!
As much as I would love to share some cute fall outfits, it’s just too hot for me to even think about jeans, leggings, sweaters or even flats. Today I am reminded with this heat we are having out here in southern California that...
It’s not only Friday (TGIF) but it’s the start of a 3 day weekend!! Yes, Labor Day weekend is here marking the official end of summer. Here in So. Cal this weekend also is probably the hottest weekend we’ve had all summer! I think...
Are you moving? Are you moving enough? Are you up of a challenge to move more? How about a 30 day Walking Challenge to get to 10,000 steps a day? I workout almost everyday but I still don’t always get enough steps in my...
Hair is a big deal to us gals. A bad hair day can make for a bad day. On the other hand a good hair day is so much more . . . . it can give you confidence, happiness and a feeling you...
Sunday morning, coffee and a little bit of meal planning. Two teenage boys in a house means there are actually 5 meals – breakfast, lunch, after school, dinner, and late night. It never ceases to amaze me how much they can actually eat and...
When I was growing up I always wanted a jean jacket but my mother (for some strange reason) said no. Maybe it was that she was super conservative and thought denim was just a little to edgy. Or maybe it was because we went...
Today was freshmen orientation, classes start next week so summer is fast coming to an end. Remember the good old days when Labor day marked the official end of summer for kids everywhere?! I’m actually ready to get back to some routine. I always...