This is a yummy soup on a cool evening! I served this with crusty bread and a simple mixed green salad.
- 2 smoked bacon slices, chopped
- 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup chopped plum tomato
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 2/3 cup uncooked orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
- 1 (15-ounce) can organic white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Cook bacon in a large saucepan over medium heat 7 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving drippings in pan; set bacon aside.
Add chicken to drippings in pan; sauté 6 minutes. Remove chicken from pan. Add onion and garlic to pan; cook 4 minutes or until tender. Add tomato, oregano, and pepper; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Return bacon and chicken to pan. Stir in 2 cups water and broth, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Bring to a boil. Add orzo, and cook for 9 minutes or until al dente. Add beans; cook 2 minutes or until heated. Remove from heat; stir in vinegar, and salt.