New Year’s Resolutions? Yes or No
I stopped making them a few years ago. When I would look back on my resolutions each year they were almost always the same thing . . . getting in shape, eat healthily, exercising, getting organized and finding balance in my life. I realized finding balance as a woman/mother is a constant quest as is trying to be organized and exercising and healthy eating are part of my daily life. But that doesn’t mean I don’t have goals! I believe strongly in the importance of setting goals . . . yearly, monthly, weekly and even daily sometimes! 🙂
But let’s talk fitness because it is that time of year when everyone seems to have some fitness or weight loss goal. I think that’s all good but the goal this year should be more about making a lifestyle change incorporating exercise into your daily life so it part of your day. The goal should be to never have “getting in shape” back on your New Years resolution or goals because exercise is already part of your daily life.
I know it’s hard but the most important thing is starting! Don’t even think about it or you will start making excuses on why you can’t get started . . . literally JUST DO IT!
Here are my 5 top tips to kickstart your fitness goals:
- Schedule at least five 30 minute workouts for the week on your calendar. They can be a 30-minute walk, an in-home workout, a yoga class – anything that gets you moving! All movement is good!! If you schedule your workout in your calendar like any other appointment you will be less likely to skip.
- Drink more water!! I struggle with this one especially in the cooler weather but drinking more water will help you flush out the toxins in your body and helps keep you feeling fuller throughout the day. A fun water bottle might help.
- Grab a friend to join you! You are less likely to skip if you know you are meeting a friend to workout. Or workout virtually with a friend. My running partner and I meet once a week to run but every day after our run or workouts we text each other what we did, how we feel . . . that daily check-in keeps me accountable.
Join an online fitness accountability group. I lead a Facebook fitness group where everyone checks in daily with their workout. It’s so motivating to see what others are doing and it’s a place to ask questions, stay inspired and motivated. You are welcome to join our group – just comment in the comments section.
- Find your ‘why’ and write it down! We all need to have a reason or goal to get us started and to keep us going. Your why is unique to you whether it’s weight loss, getting stronger, healthier or being able to do 10 push-ups. Remember this your journey don’t compare yourself to anyone else. Writing it down will give you that visual, it allows you to see your end goal. And realize your ‘why’ will change through the year as you change and that is a good thing.
- Treat yourself to a new piece of workout gear. A new pair of workout leggings, a cute new top or new running shoes will give you a boost of confidence to keep going! I always find a run further, jump higher and feel stronger when I am wearing something new. 🙂
My fitness goal for 2018 is to complete 2 marathons, one being the NYC Marathon. It’s been 23 years since I ran a marathon so this will be a challenge but challenges are a good thing. Challenges make us uncomfortable which brings about change!
Check out some reasonable priced stylish, cute and fun activewear! You don’t have to spend alot to look and feel great while you workout!
Time to get moving and feeling amazing . . . no excuses! Feel free to comment with any questions or if you want workout suggestions or want accountability! 🙂